Google Analytics

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Quilter's Cramp

I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN TODAY!!!!!!!!!!
Tuesday I finished one of the quilts in the grey study series. This one is blue-ish greys and it's about a Twin-sized (62"x74")quilt.
grey1sidefront

I FMQ'd the whole thing. This is the 1st time I've done a large, bed-sized quilt all in FMQ and needless to say I am in severe pain!
***********When they tell you to take lots of breaks, drink lots of water, stretch, keep your shoulders and jaw relaxed, Don't quilt longer than 10 minutes at a time and break longer than you quilt you NEED TO LISTEN!!!!!!!! ********
Take it from me! I am now suffering because of it. I read these suggestions and warnings in each and every quilting book and website I've ever read - I thought these warnings were for "old people" LOL.

Well anyway I think for my first try at free-motion quilting a large quilt it turned out quite nicely. Except for couple of knots on the back everything went relatively smoothly. I did a variety of meander/stipple quilting in all the grey areas. In the colored area I "tried" to quilt a straight line 1/4" inside the edges with the darning foot. I used high-loft batting so it has a lovely puffy look to it. I have to say that using a darning foot or free-motion style quilting is much nicer than what I used to do.... which is use a walking foot and I would have to squeeze the whole quilt around and around each block. THAT was annoying. My 'straight' lines aren't that straight but I'll do better next time.
Here's some other photos of my finished quilt:
grey1closeupfolded
grey1closeup
Grey1back
grey1front

Have any of you had this problem - severe pain a couple days after free-motion quilting a large quilt on a domestic sewing machine?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated


2 comments:

  1. I love this quilt! The grey background really makes the colors stand out. I have never quilted anything that large, but judging from the pictures you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes Katie, severe pain is usual !! I have just finished quilting "denim rails" from Bonnie's first book, and it was the most difficult thing I ever quilted by machine, it was so heavy, and would not slide along.
    Severe pain in the left arm since then .....
    I absolutely love your quilt, where did you get the pattern ?
    Carolyn in France

    ReplyDelete